Cabbage Patch Kids, the rosy-cheeked dolls that left store shelves picked clean during the first big holiday toy craze, are up for a spot in the National Toy Hall of Fame, part of a finalist group announced Wednesday that also includes garden-variety sand and the toy fire engine.
Also among finalists being considered for a November induction are five competitive games: Battleship, Risk, The Settlers of Catan, Mahjong and billiards, as well as the piñata, American Girl Dolls, Masters of the Universe and Fisher-Price Corn Popper.
The National Toy Hall of Fame receives thousands of nominations each year. These finalists were chosen from 2021. Anybody can nominate toys and the National Toy Hall of Fame receives thousands of nominations each year. A panel made up of experts and input from the public votes on the three to induct. The list of honorees has included everything from the simplest cardboard stick and stick to the Atari 2600 Game System’s groundbreaking Atari 2600 Game System as well as the widely recognized Checkers and Crayola crayons and marbles.
To be inducted, toys must have withstood tests of time and memory, changed play or toy design and fostered learning, creativity or discovery.
All of the 2021 finalists have “greatly influenced the world of play,” said Christopher Bensch, vice president for collections at the hall, which is located inside The Strong National Museum of Play in Rochester, New York.
“These 12 toys represent the wide scope of playthings—from one of the most universal playthings in the world like sand to a game-changing board game like Risk to the popular adult game of billiards,” Bensch said.
Fans are invited to vote for their favorites as part of a “Player’s Choice” ballot that closes Sept. 22.
The three toys that receive the most public votes will be submitted as one ballot to be counted with the 22 other top-three ballots submitted by the National Selection Advisory Committee, effectively making the public one member of the committee.
The induction ceremony will take place on November 4.
The Toy Hall of Fame in Rochester, N.Y., announced the latest toys to be inducted. Sidewalk Chalk, Baby Nancy and Jenga were honored for their ability to “educate, inspire, bring joy.”
About this year’s nominees:
– American Girl Dolls: Created in 1986 by educator and newscaster Pleasant Rowland, each doll comes with a narrative that reflects an era of American history.
– Battleship: Originally played with paper and pencil, Milton Bradley’s 1967 plastic adaptation popularized the two-person strategy game. It was one of the first computerized board games in 1979.
– Billiards: Also known as pool in America, this game is a relic of earlier European outdoor games. It became very popular in the 1800s.
Cabbage Patch Kids: Each doll is unique and was first released in 1979. These dolls came with all the necessary papers to adopt them. They were the holiday must-have toys of 1983.
Fisher-Price Corn Popper: This push-toy was first introduced in 1957. Children were captivated and able to walk because of the brightly colored balls and the popping sound.
– Mahjong is a card game that was popularized in America by the Chinese in the 1920s.
– Masters of the Universe: He-Man, She-Ra and the line’s other action figures became popular through Mattel’s use of comic books and television, including the cartoon series He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, from 1983 to 1985.
– Piñata: The treat-filled paper mache object is commonly associated with Mexican culture but may date back to early 13th-century China.
– Risk : This strategy game was first published in the United States back in 1959. It challenges players to command armies and conquer all of the planet.
According to the National Toy Hall of Fame, this substance is the oldest and most widely used toy in the world.
– The Settlers of Catan: The cooperative board game now called “Catan” was first published in Germany. Settlements are established by players representing the settlers. These resources can be earned through trade and dice rolls.
Toy fire engine – Although materials, design, and technology have improved, the appeal has remained.